We strive to attract and retain the best and brightest professionals by investing in their development, providing challenging and rewarding opportunities, and offering a supportive and flexible work environment.
Our professionals are highly skilled individuals who are committed to our organization. We provide them ongoing opportunities for continued professional development in their current areas of expertise, as well as opportunities to develop new skills and have new experiences.
You will be assigned a Buddy Mentor before you begin working with our Office to get you acquainted and familiar with the Office structure, policies, procedures and culture. Your Buddy will welcome you on your first day and introduce you to members of your team and throughout the Office.
Our mentoring program pairs experienced Office professionals with those who strive to enhance their professional development, cultivate professional working relationships amongst employees, and facilitate increased knowledge with the objective of continually improving our Office’s effectiveness.
Learning and Development
Your professional development begins on your first day and continues throughout your career. Our new employee orientation program will introduce you to the topics and issues you will experience daily as a team member. Through our in-house training program, you will receive at least 40 hours of continuing professional education (CPE) each year in both technical and soft-skill areas, all of which count toward your certification renewal CPE requirements for those with certain professional designations, such as CPAs. Additionally, you may be eligible for tuition assistance for a job-related degree program or a professional development grant for job-related programs, seminars, or classes not available in-house.
The Office’s leaders receive ongoing training to follow The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership as taught in The Leadership Challenge Workshop written and developed by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner. We believe our leaders’ attitudes and behaviors are looked to as models of how our Office’s professionals are to function and interact. It is the leader’s responsibility to create a productive environment where the Office’s values flourish.
"Through the training opportunities the OAG offers, I have been able to develop valuable interpersonal
and technical skills that have assisted me in advancing my career.”
Alexa, Division of School Audits
You will have the opportunity to participate in our own Toastmasters club through Toastmasters International. Club members meet once a month to work on developing speaking and leadership skills. Participants report increased levels of self-confidence; impromptu and prepared speaking skills; and leadership skills including listening, evaluating others, and facilitating meetings.
Coaching and Performance Reviews
Experienced staff will provide you on-the-job coaching along with the tools and resources necessary to get the daily work done while inspiring you to maximize your potential throughout your career. Supervisors provide ongoing feedback to reflect on performance and identify areas for development.
You and your supervisor will develop annual professional development plans to set meaningful goals to facilitate career development and contribute to individual, team, and division success.
“Over the years, I have received varied work assignments, great development opportunities,
and a wide variety of training that has helped me grow personally and
professionally throughout my career.”
Maureen, Information Technology Services
Events and Activities
You will enjoy opportunities to join with others to celebrate successes and give to the community. We work hard at what we do, but we also like to have fun. Some of the charitable causes we donate to include:
- Salvation Army Christmas Angels
- Feed My Starving Children
- St. Mary’s Summer Food/Water Drive
- Susan G. Komen/The Gateway for Cancer Research
- Charitable walks and runs to benefit organizations and causes such as Crohn’s and Colitis, heart disease, diabetes, and various cancer-fighting organizations.
Collaborative Work Environment
You will collaborate with highly qualified team members with specialized skills across our divisions to enhance the products and services our Office provides. For example, you could work with our information technology auditors on a client’s systems security review, work with school audit division or information technology staff to design new graphics for the district spending report, or work with our performance auditors on a special audit of a state agency that the Legislature requests.
Innovate, Develop, and Lead
You will have up-to-date technology and training. We strive to provide the highest quality and up-to-date work environment for our Office members so that we can provide the best service to our stakeholders.
- Up-to-date technology—You will be equipped with the latest technology, such as laptop tablets with the most up-to-date software and standing desks, to help make working in the Office or out in the field easy.
- Audit tools—You will use, and may even help develop, auditing tools that are designed and updated to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our audits.
- Continuous professional education and development—You will start in our initial staff training classes to get you up to speed on the most current financial reporting and auditing standards as part of your continued professional education (CPE). You will also receive regular coaching on-the-job to help develop your skills. In addition, you will receive at least 40 hours of CPE each year, all of which counts toward your certification and renewal requirements for those with a CPA, CFE, CISA, or other professional designations. You will also have opportunities to teach trainings to others within the Office, if desired.
You can be among our valued professionals. It is because of our employees that we have had successful peer reviews through the National State Auditors Association’s peer review program. Additionally, we have earned various awards such as the National Legislative Program Evaluation Society's Certificate of Recognition Impact. Our professionals give trainings and presentations at various workshops and meetings around the State.